Bombing for fame: suspect of Beijing university blasts
The young man suspected of the dining hall bombings at two prestigious Chinese universities last month has told police that he carried out the attacks to achieve fame.
Huang Minxiang, 27, a native of Fuzhou, capital of south China’s Fujian Province, is suspected of having placed the bombs which injured nine people in cafeterias at Beijing and Qinghua Universities on Feb. 25.
“The reason for choosing these two universities was that they are renowned(有名的) institutions. I’d be famous if I could make explosions there,” Huang told Beijing police on Saturday.
Huang was taken to Beijing at 1:55 p.m. Saturday on flight 1506 from Fuzhou after being arrested at 12:20 a.m. the same day, according to an official with Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau.
The police investigation shows that Huang arrived in Beijing on Feb. 19 with black powder he removed from firecrackers and made simple detonators in a hostel room. He left Beijing by train on the afternoon of the explosions and reached his parents’ home at Fuzhou on Feb. 28.
The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council were deeply concerned about the incident, ordering the public security organs to solve the case as soon as possible.
Under the coordination of the Ministry of Public Security, Beijing police set up a special team, investigating the bomb scenes and finally narrowing the search to Fuzhou, the home province of the suspect.
Huang has made a complete confession to the explosions. He currently works in Qiongshan City of Haikou in south China’s Hainan Province.
Two blasts rocked the cafeterias on the campuses of the universities at around lunchtime on Feb. 25, injuring nine students and staff altogether.
Investigations are continuing, said a police spokesman.